The Lewis Sports Foundation
Who We Are
Founded in 1999 by Leo Lewis, the Lewis Sports Foundation (LSF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community service organization dedicated to providing our youth with the tools to develop lifeskills through education and physical activity.
By promoting physical activity and sports participation, we are able to improve the abilities of our young people to cope with the daily challenges of life. Enlisting the unique talents of local teachers, coaches and mentors, the Foundation provides students with the necessary resources to establish a balance between education, leadership, life management and sport.
For the long-term, the LSF will be the sport and life resource that supports individuals, teams and organizations year-round in fulfilling their goals. The Foundation was formed to manage several programs, and serves as a funding agent for scholarships and grants.
Rationale of the Lewis Sports Foundation
Today’s physically active youth face many unique challenges:
- Financial cutbacks in programming
- Insufficient resources in the community
- Balancing academic and athletic interests
- Lack of role models and being accountable for their decisions
- Facing the realization they will not play professionally
The Lewis Sports Foundation will:
- Mentor and train young athletes in sport settings
- Promote balanced living that is focused on education success and leadership
- Partner with schools and social service agencies to promote mentoring and leadership
- Support individuals, teams and organizations that promote physical activity
- Provide educational forums about the influence of sports in American culture